Saturday, February 19, 2011

Advantages Of Tibicos

The planned obsolescence

Have you watched the documentary Ready to throw on Arte? We all have some notion of the life of a product: our fridge will last 5 years, the computer 3 years, and our phone will fail within 2 years.
Yet, like little old, one is shocked: the machines lasted much longer in my time (perhaps not be mine, but that of my parents)! I think the very first Nokia, real phone booths, but that might still work if we had not hesitated to buy the next generation. My mother, she has kept hers for 8 years. Another example, but my mom always at the heart of the story: I used a tape recorder during my childhood, tape dating ... of his own youth. And well fancy that we n'affabulons not as planned obsolescence is behind it.

"Ready to throw" tells the fascinating history of planned obsolescence, a strategy devised in the 20s to deliberately reduce life to increase produce consumption.
On the basis of research more than three years of archive footage very little known, and collections of stories from around the world this report we tells history of planned obsolescence in its infancy with light bulbs and its development with for example the disappearance of ultra resistant nylon stockings but also with current cases such as iPods or Epson printers that contain a chip limiting the number of impressions.
The scary part is that this planned obsolescence is learned, and taught in design schools in which students are taught how long "should" take a product!
I you said no more, I've already said too much, this story is a must see for reflection a little to all these products that surround us.



Ready to throw
sent ARTEplus7 .

0 comments:

Post a Comment